Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The ubiquity of my profanity

I decided to take a cue from Language Log, wherein Google is often used to take straw polls of usage, and see how common my occasionally odd turns of profane phrase are. Here are the stats:

  • "Oh my gentle Jesus": 1,610 hits, and notably featured on That 70's Show, episode 6X07:  "CHRISTMAS" (December 11, 2003)
  • "Sweet merciful motherf**k": unique! Woot!
  • "Green and gracious God": also unique. But possibly a bastardization of "great and gracious God," for which there are over 3,000 hits
  • "F**k f**k f**kity-f**k": only 888 hits, but also has an entry on UrbanDictionary.com
  • "Mom-effing": 65 hits
  • "Mom-effer": 3 hits
  • "Mom-effing mom-effer" (my preferred usage): unique!

This is excellent news. I'd hate for my swearing to be common. I didn't bother searching for "Jiminy Cricket" on the assumption that many cites would be referring to this fella:

jiminy1 than would be referring to the euphemism.

No comments: