Friday, September 05, 2008

Sarah's Home for Old Pets

Is there such a thing as palliative care for cats?

I ask because it seems the shelters and Humane Society are always full of older cats. And I would have no problem adopting them, except I wouldn't be able to afford big vet bills. But surely living out the last four or five years with a loving owner and being put down when it got sick is a better fate than living in a cage and being put down NOW because no one adopts it?

Pets: they're all furry cuteness and ethical dilemmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, the HS is always looking for volunteers to foster older cats rather than adopt them. When you foster an older cat, you care for it at your home, but the HS provides medication and veterinary care for it free of charge. I am not positive, but I think the HS may even provide food/litter/etc.