Monday, December 04, 2006

News Roundup

Chile's Pinochet Fighting for His Life (Washington Post)

Not that I enjoy watching a decrepit old man suffer (even if it is karma for the murder of thousands and torture of God-only-knows-how-many) but I'm a little creeped out by the hordes of admirers waving banners in support of former Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet. Chile deems it impolitic to try him for war crimes and crimes against humanity, and that strikes me as cowardly but reasonable. At least they have him under house arrest. However, the fact that a significant number of Chileans still believe he "saved them from communism" is freakin' weird. I hope its Stockholm Syndrome, I really do.


Lebanese army increases forces in tense Beirut (Reuters UK)

To whoever suggested that invading Lebanon would increase Middle East stability or security, all I can say is: I told you so, idiots. Does no one remember the 80s? Did no one see Delta Force or Navy Seals?

No comments: